From:
Jackie Atiya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:58:45 +0200
Chris Wrote:

>I define by history, not location, so Oz is included) because Western women
>don't normally offer their "dry" breast to babies to comfort them.  Maybe
>this is an idea worth pursuing.  I mean, why would a person give a baby a
>cold, dinky little binky (dummy) for comfort when she could give her warm
>breast.  I'll tuck this idea away in my "grandmother hope chest."
>
>Chris Mulford

Chris, funny you mention this,I am starting to study tomorrow, one full day
a week.  I found a lovely young women to take care of my 5.5 month old
daughter. we have been getting my daughter used to her new caregiver over
the past week and it has been difficult getting her to accept EBM from a
bottle. I was getting worried about the long day without me, at one point I
suggested she offer her breast to my daughter for comfort, she did not bat
an eyelid, I left for a few hours and when I came back, she told me Mika
started crying and she offered her a little comforting suckle, but it seems
Mika just didn't want the nipple. I guess she had the same reaction as
taking the bottle. Have any of you had any experience or heard of a
caregiver (non family) offering a "dry" breast for comfort. I mean, it makes
more sense than giving a pacifier, no? my sister also sheepishly "confessed"
trying to offer my older daughter her breast when she babysat a while ago
(this was when my daughter was still nursing). my sister was surprised at my
very blase reaction, she thought I'd hit the roof, I told her I was pleased
she had the common sense to offer a breast rather than shove a piece of
rubber into my daughters mouth.
I was wondering if this is normal practise (obviously not in the western
world,but what about other societies?)? I know about wet nurses, what about
"dry nurses" ?
I'd be interested in hearing what others think about this.

Jackie Atiya, CBC Israel