From:
Josefine Wendel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:20:38 -0400
Patrica Young wrote:

> The impact of high sugar will be on mom, not on milk or baby (milk isn't sweeter).

Pat: according to what I have read about this, higher blood glucose
levels do increase glucose levels of breast milk: "the insulin using
mother needs to be taught how to maintain optimal blood glucose values
because higher blood glucose levels increase the glucose content of the
breast milk and puts the mother at risk for breast infection." from
"Breastfeeding and Diabetes" by Cathy Fagen, MA, RD, CDE, Practical
Diabetology, March 99. If anyone has references to the contrary I would
appreciate to know about them.

Since this is my first post to the list, I would like to introduce
myself briefly. I am a nutritionist with a strong interest in
breastfeeding and have found the list (have been lurking off and on for
about a year or so) to be very educational. Breastfeeding both of my
daughters sparked my interest enough to educate myself further and
hopefully also in a more formal way in the future. And then to think I
was one of those who started breastfeeding mostly out of a sense of duty
- I knew it was the best, and felt obliged to at least do it for a few
months... was totally surprised that (after the first few weeks) I also
enjoyed it so much!

Josefine (Jose) Wendel, MS, RD
Cambridge, MA