From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:27:54 -0700
In my hospital, mom's fever upon admit likely would result in antibiotic
(ABX) treatment for both mom & possibly baby for 48 hours &/or until blood
tests proved there was no infection. If baby needs ABX he would be sent to
Level II nursery for monitoring. Initial feeds, after L&D feed, would be in
that nursery. Mom has to walk down there. Chairs are not comfortable. Both
have IVs or heplocks which make positioning difficult. If baby does not
need monitoring & the RNs are satisfied that baby can feed well, they will
let baby go out to mom's room for feeds. We LCs actively advocate here to
make this happen sooner. But baby has to go back to the nursery repeatedly
for assessments.
If there are problems feeding or if baby has to stay an extra day or more,
we help mom with a pump. Babies are usually discharged directly from the
Level II nursery; rarely sent to Level I unless mom is still hospitalized &
baby doesn't need Level II treatments any more.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates