From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 20:54:57 +0200
Pia, if you can find out exactly which medication the mother got, it will
help.  Here they often give cabergoline (Dostinex is the brand name) if
lactation is to be suppressed immediately after birth, and bromocriptine if
the issue comes up after some weeks or months.  I don't know why, and I do
know bromocriptine is no longer used for this in the US, but Norwegian docs
don't care about that kind of thing, evidently.  (Yes, I am being
sarcastic.)  If she got a series of tablets to take over several days, it
was probably bromocriptine, because cabergoline is given as one or two doses
at the most.

If she has been treated with bromocriptine and stopped the treatment after
just a single dose, she has good chances of getting production going.  If
the drug was cabergoline, it may be much harder, because the effects are
much longer lasting, like a couple of weeks.

If she does start pumping and gets milk after taking bromocriptine, it is
fine to give the milk to the baby, though women are often told that they
can't give the baby milk because the reference books list bromocriptine as
contraindicated in a breastfeeding mother.  That warning is simply because
the BF can be spoiled by it, the milk is fine.

Rachel Myr
Norway