From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:40:40 -0500
"Hospital grade pump" is nothing more than a marketing phrase dreamed up by
pump manufacturers, and I for one fell for it hook, line, and sinker until
I got wised-up a handful of years ago.  Here in the USA, the Food & Drug
Administration (FDA), which oversees pump regulations, has called them out
on it ("The FDA does not recognize the term 'hospital grade,' so this term
doesn’t mean a pump is safe."
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm335261.htm ).

Pumps can-and-should be evaluated for efficacy, given a parent's particular
needs and situation. The machines frequently rented or found in NICUs/birth
facilities ought to be referred to as "durable medical equipment" or "DME",
cuz that is what they are.  The motor is used by many, but each parent
ought to use their own new kit of flanges/containers/tubes.

Pumps can be described as "single-user" pumps (whether powered by mechanics
[squeezing the handle by hand], batteries, or electricity), cuz the mfgrs
intend that the kinds you can buy be used only by one person.   We can have
a debate over a beer at the bar as to whether or not that is just another
marketing ploy to get parents to buy a new pump with each kid ... but
undeniably this is what the mfgrs suggest in their own literature.

Pumps can be described as "single" or "double", to describe whether one
breast  or both, simultaneously, are being expressed.

And of course ANY discussion of milk expression should involve a
description of manual ("by hand") expression ... either alone, or in
conjunction with the use of a pump ("hands-on pumping").

I urge IBCLCs and other lactation supporters to use the language
appropriate to discussion involving our skilled lactation expertise ... and
not the blurbs generated by the pump mfgrs.

--
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA