Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:09:48 +0000
Jacqui wrote:

>Let us not be fooled - companies can develop advertising material "just like
>that" and they are incredibly efficient at targetting the weak spots.
>Nestle has a whole series of useful non-bf "we are the good guys" posters
>for schools, with the famous name prominently displayed.

And......here in the UK where it is illegal to advertise breastmilk
substitutes to mothers (but where ads for follow on milk with similar
branding and packaging *are* allowed and are on TV and in magazines)
the manufacturers have thought of a sneaky way round the ban.

Under the guise of 'information' they have a one-pager in all the
parenting magazines talking about the different sorts of formula,
especially with reference to LCPFAs. No brand name of formula is
mentioned...but the manufacturer's name is (it's SMA) and their
'Careline' (blurrrrghhhh) phone number is mentioned, too. So,
technically, it's not an ad for formula because the brand name of the
formula is not mentioned.

The text is written very skillfully. It's quite text-heavy, and could
even be a piece of editorial. It  sounds like a calm, reassuring
informed person talking to you...but of course the level of actual
information is wafer-thin.

Make no mistake. International companies with gazillions of
pounds/dollars at their disposal are not stupid, and will make the
most of any tiny legal loophole to get to their target market.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK