From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:47:12 -0500
Becky said, "We also are not allowed to carry babies in the hallway (nurses
or parents!) because we might drop the baby.  All babies are transported in
cribs."

I was disgusted about hospitals (most that I worked in, actually) having
this policy until I found out that the reason for the policy was infant
safety and security.  If someone wanted to kidnap a baby from a unit without
security alarms, it would be easy enough to just put on a patient gown and
go walking down the hall with a baby you took from someone's room and duck
down the stairs.  With this policy, anyone doing that is questioned, and
most parents who unwittingly do this and are questioned, are not upset once
they find out the reason why.  Of course, this is supposed to be explained
to them on admission to the unit.  Is this, perhaps, the rationale behind
your hospital's policy?

Marsha, who just took my babies home after a few hours.