From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:25:01 -0500
That is an interesting observation, Diane. I really hadn't thought of it.
My OB (same hospital) has a copy of Hale as well as Briggs, and he
*assumes* you will be breastfeeding, and my old Ped had two copies of
Breastfeeding Answer Book (courtesy of me) used them a lot and asked "Can
you get me a few more of these?" (I politely handed him the LLL catalogue!)
Also, when my oldest child was being treated for allergies, her sweet
Indian allergist said to me, with baby Rebecca on my lap, "You are
breastfeeding this one,too, right?
I replied of course, she said "At least one year before you wean, maybe I
won't have an other patient!" Rebecca was older than a year at weaning and
the doc didn't have an other patient. This was in 1988! (My dd Sarah, her
pateint, was breastfed, but developed allergies despite. It could have been
the ABM she was fed, without my knowlege, in the hospital.)

My OB's twin brother runs the NICU at Loyola and is notorious
for "hounding" mothers of preterm babies to pump her milk for the baby, and
encourages them to BF when the babies can. ;) OTOH, I have had an other ped
tell me that he didn't think "breastfeeding really makes a difference in
reducing illnesses." And an interist panic when she handed me a
prescription for some medication, saying "You aren't still nursing anyone,
are you?" I wasn't, but the med was compatable anyway. sigh. It's a mixed
bag.

I wonder if token breastfeeding may have had an effect on these docs. A
mother says she is "breastfeeding" while giving 3 or 4 bottles of ABM a
day, and she goes down as "breastfeeding" in the chart. The kid doesn't do
all that much better than the totally ABM fed babies, and after seeing this
again and again, the doc gets cynical, without knowing to ask the AMOUNT of
and commitment to breastfeeding the mother has.

It is an interesting thing to think about.

My neuro sees a lot of migraine and MS pateints, so he has a large number
of women of childbearing age in his practice. I will ask him in Feb how he
likes using the book and website!

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, RLC, LLLL, AAPL
Private Practice