Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:39:00 -0500
Chloe Fisher and Michael Woolridge *should* be upset. Not only has their
"finish one side before the other" ended up as "feed only one side no matter
what", but formula company reps are using the "lactose intolerance" thing to
push lactose free formula. And it works great, as many on Lactnet can
attest.

Furthermore, Chloe had, in my opinion, the unfortunate idea to send a letter
to Pediatrics a couple of years ago saying there was no such thing as nipple
confusion, and it was the adults that were confused. She said it in a
conference here in Toronto too. Well, whether or not there is such a thing
as nipple confusion (and there is, actually), this has resulted in people
jumping on this and saying, no problem giving bottles since *the* expert
said there was not such thing as nipple confusion. I'm sure this is not what
Chloe intended. But that was the result. Back to bottles. When the real
issue is to sit and help the mothers get breastfeeding right. You'd almost
think that there were legions of nurses and doctors just waiting for the
word to give bottles again. Thank heaven, we can forget all this latching
stuff, and lactation aid and the rest. Because Chloe Fisher said there was
no such thing as nipple confusion. It set us back years. Just because too
many health care professionals don't have the "feel" for breastfeeding.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC