From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:30:51 -0500
One of the moms on my monthly list commented today on the AAP BF
Guidelines... seems she heard a story on NPR and she told the list that
they recommended BF for the first six months, and then said BF and formula
feeding was "okay".  I posted the guidelines to the list, and gently
pointed out that no where did it actually say this, what the guidelines
actually say is that breastfeeding is recommended for twelve months, and
that iron-fortified infant formula is the only acceptable substitute for
breastmilk.  Then I checked into the NPR site that someone had posted today
and LOOK what I saw!!! YIKES!  They have obviously confused "Gradual
introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first
year should complement the breast milk diet", solid foods  as meaning
formula.  BIG MISTAKE.
  Here is what is posted at NPR, which is a written transcript as what was
broadcast to millions today.:

New Breastfeeding Guidlines -- NPR's Patricia Neighmond reports on
             new guidelines for breastfeeding babies issued by the American
             Academy of Pediatrics. The nation's largest organization of
pediatricians
             recommends that mothers breastfeed their babies for the first
year of life.
             Mothers milk is recommended for the first six months... and
then in
             combination with formula for at least another six months. (3:00)

The NPR URL is http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/archives/current.html
This is awful!

Nancy Holtzman RN BSN MOM
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups