From:
Laurie Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:02:23 EDT
Here is the note I got from the mom today:
<<The radiologist said that I really should just wean the baby, and I will do
that if I need to, but I wondered if you give me some information as well.  I
took 2 mc of I -131 ( a radioactive nucleotide for a thyroid uptake scan). >>

This mom had cancer of the thyroid a few years ago and they are doing a scan
to check her thyroid now. The baby was born at 34 weeks in early November
2001, so is almost ten months now. The doctors wanted to do this scan much
earlier, but the mom made the decision to delay it as long as she could for
the sake of breastfeeding.

I do not have the expertise to advise this mom. I have read Hale's newest
summary of I-131 in the 2002 edition, but I'm not sure what to tell her. The
reviews seem mixed. Should I just scan in the pages to her and let her
decide? Provide them for the radiologist?

She would like to pump and dump for a safe period of time and then resume
breastfeeding. She has asked if she can breastfeed during the night, and
bottle feed during the day. She has about 3 weeks of stored breastmilk
available.

Thanks for your help!
Laurie Moody, CLC