Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:31:37 +0100
>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:55:41 -0700, Cee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.hooterhiders.com/use.html
>>
>>The only good thing I can say about this site is that they have a
>>disclaimer about suffocation and/or strangulation from the product.
>

>I don't mean you personally, Cee, but sometimes we can be over-protective
>of "our issue" and not allow for different perspectives.  Some women really
>don't want to show anything while breastfeeding, and we need to respect
>that.

Claire - I agree. Women have quite deep-rooted feelings about this,
and some simply need time to become used to feeding away from home.
But they don't need to buy anything special to hide the fact they are
bf (and as has been said, special products tend to draw attention to
what she's doing, so they're counter-productive).  How does it
support women, or support breastfeeding, to make money out of
someone's discomfort and embarassment?

>As far as the name goes, yes that is unfortunate.

More than that.  It's just awful, belittling and disrespectful.

>  Given that the business
>is run by two breastfeeding mothers, I'm guessing they were trying to be
>humorous when they named it.  I'm sure the last thing they wanted to do was
>offend other women.

It doesn't make sense to offend their market, true enough! So I hope
they will think again, and stop trying to make money out of something
unnecessary.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK