From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:41:52 -0600
I think there are many good resources for information on ALL types of
pumps in many of our reference materials which are handy to most
LCs/RNs.
Riordan and Auerbach's book has an excellent section on pumps (written
by Marsha Walker, I think), The Breastfeeding Answer Book has a fairly
good section and my favorite is Kittie Frantz's Breastfeeding Product
Guide (info avail on her website at www.geddespro.com). I believe Marie
Biancuzzo recently wrote an excellent article for MCN or JOGGN on pumps.
(sorry but I'm 18 yrs PP and still fuzzy sometimes).  The LLL Catalog
which is now on-line also has many types of pumps for sale and even tho
you might not want to buy one of each, maybe there are pictures? (The
print catalog has them.) When I was "studying" to become an LC, I
routinely went to Baby's R US and other baby stores to look at the
products available since things change so frequently.  I also wrote to
some of the pump companies and asked for a sample to evaluate and show
in my prenatal class. Armed with a trusty vacuum gauge, a friend and I
tried all of them to see how they worked and how to put them together.
Many LLL Area Conferences have sessions on breastfeeding devices since
many Leaders have never used a breastpump. Hope these ideas are helpful
for getting to know the types of pumps out there.
Mary Kay Smith, CLE, IBCLC
Romeoville, IL near Chicago