Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:10:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
email from a friend today:
 "I had a really crappy visit at the pediatrician today when I took Lorelei for her 4 mos. shots....she asked me about Lorelei sleeping through the night - I said she usually sleeps 4-5 hours and the doctor told me she should be sleeping from about 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and not nursing at all in the  middle of the night. She said she only nurses 'cause it's "fun."  She asked me where Lorelei sleeps and I said in a bassinet next to  
the bed and she told me that she needed to be sleeping in her own room and that it was time for me to get "mean." She also told me I should be introducing Lorelei to rice cereal now so that she can get iron in her diet and be moving on to solid  foods.  This contradicts....American Academy of Pediatrics...and the La Leche League.... 
 I was really taken aback by the whole thing 'cause I didn't ask for any advice on any of these issues and she just started telling me what I needed to do."

I don't have the name of her current ped, but I recommended changing peds and she said she'd appreciate any suggestions 
"We're living in Green Cove Springs, so pretty much everything will be a drive but somebody in Orange Park or the westside of Jax would be ideal.  However, if I have to drive farther to get someone I like then that's what I have to do." (friend will be returning to work part-time in january, her office is on NAS Jax and so is her husband's)

I fwd'd herjames mckenna articles/website address. even though I believe it's the ped's (not the pt's) responsibility to provide the "evidence" for her misinformation, I'd like to arm my friend with specific research to hand the soon-to-be-ex-ped, re: the myth of rice cereal, how starting solids too early can be detrimental, etc, if anyone can recommend some favorite articles. 

thank you,  
vicki hayes rn ibclc in brunswick ga
(whose 2 1/2-year-old nurses to sleep every night, wakes up 1 or 2 times a night to nurse, sleeps in my&hubby's bed or I sleep in his bed or we sleep in big brother(s)' bed(s).....guess I'm not "mean" enough but I sure am "fun")

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2