From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:27:52 +0400
Meg asks: << "Casein synthesis is low or absent in early lactation,
increases rapidly, and then decreases. Early milk whey:casein is 90:10,
then mature milk 60-40 then later lactation 50:50. Why is this different
from the generally stated 40:60 ratio. Is that an average?>>

The 60:40 ratio is only accurate at one point in time. And that is one
of the problems measuring milk composition - it varies so much even
within a single day, and even more over time.

Thanks again Linda. So what is the significance of this fact, that we
are expected to know by heart- of the 40:60 ratio? is it more important
to realize that this ratio is dynamic and always very different (in a
negative way) from the ratio of cow’s milk?  From what you say then
knowing this ratio doesn’t seem very useful. I think knowing all the
ratios is far more accurate and interesting, and yet if we answer the
standard whey:casein ratio question for mature milk as 60:40 then we
would be considered wrong with our numbers around the wrong way. So how
and why did the 40:60 come about ? is it considered an average?

 Still a bit confused, Meg.

Meg Kingsley

Lay Breastfeeding Supporter, Dubai UAE

E-Mail : HYPERLINK
"mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]