From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:56:22 -0500

> don't understand why they are using a haberman feeder with the one twin.
> The high flow of this device would increase the apnea/bradycardia.

Not to get into an argument, but wanted to clarify to those that do not use
the haberman much and/or not familiar with the product.  Haberman bottle is
designed differently than the normal bottle.  You can, as I call it "dial
down the flow to zero" .  So the care taker has control over the flow the
baby is getting by moving the bottle to how open the slit is opened in the
bottle.  Baby needs to be actively sucking to get a flow.  If the the flow is
dialed up to where it is opened to max, maybe a compromised infant could
become apnea/bradycardia if the care taker is additionally assisting the feed
with squeezing the teat.   That is why we need to understand products and use
them appropriately as medical professionals.  I am off my soap box now.
Have fun all you netters in Tenn. at the lactation conference.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection, Medela
Naperville, IL