From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:29:24 -0500
From my point of view, here are the breastfeeding crimes I see committed
most.

1.  Anesthesiologist who gets the epidural in the wrong place and has to do
it over.
      (Baby cannot suck for a long time).
2.  L&D nurse who does not encourage early skin to skin and breastfeeding in
the first 30 minutes to an hour, and sends the baby back to the nursery
without nursing.
      (Decreases maternal confidence, puts the baby at risk of low blood
sugar)
3.  The nursery nurses who lay the baby under the warmer for several hours
until they are warm, then immediately bathe them and cool them off, so that
they will not warm up again for several MORE hours.
      (Doesn't make sense, only gives the nursery nurses more time to do
other things)
4.  The night nurses who encourage mom to get her sleep and let them take
care of the baby.

5.  The physician who circumsizes a little boy as soon as they get a chance
to, whether or not the child has eaten well. (or at all).

6.  The WIC provider who comes around to visit the mothers on WIC and
encourages them to take the bottle feeding packet, since they are probably
going to need it anyway.

7.  The nurse who doesn't take the time to explain to the mother that giving
a bottle may cause a lot of problems and is not medically necessary, when
mom asks for a bottle because she thinks her baby isn't getting anything.

8.  The hospital that hands out formula promotion packs to every single
mother.

9.  The hospitals that do not provide IBCLCs to assist all breastfeeding
mothers, or do not provide enough IBCLCs to get the job done.

10.  NICUs and SCNs that do not promote breastfeeding, kangaroo care, and
       parental involvement in the care of their sick or premature babies.

TA DA........   Thats the 10 "criminal acts" that I see

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC