From:
Patricia Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:57:05 -0800
Dear Brenda, I sympathize and have had same experience.  Fortunately, we ran
out of SNS, so they're stuck with the real thing, and we finally have an
alternative feeding policy, so bottles should not be given if Mom wants to
supplement or it is medically necessary.  Yes, staff become overly dependent
on SNS and yes, mother is undermined.  Everyone is in such a hurry, and if
we could help moms lower their expectations, know that the baby wont starve
in one day, it's going to happen!  Remind staff, mothers, that milk IS in,
and was produced since early pregnancy.  Also, some good postings on LACTNET
recently re early colostrum amounts.  Some LC's don't even let staff use
SNS--strictly LC regulated.  Also, check Dr. Newman web site for info re SNS
and when appropriate.

Regards,
Patricia Ellis
New Jersey