From:
Susie McCulloch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:25:15 -0500
Hi Everyone,
I work as an IBCLC (non RN) in  a outpatient facility that is part of a
large hospital. The question has been raised by a group of doctors
regarding our scope of practice in terms of discussing medication options
with our clients. It has always been my understanding that it is acceptable
to say things such as," Many mothers have found monistat to be the most
effective treatment for thrush. Talk to your doctor to find out if this
would be helpful for you." Their position is that we are prescribing
medication and overstepping our bounds as IBCLC's. They are demanding that
we do not even mention any medications by name (especially domperidone!)
My question is this: Are there any protocols generally accepted in the
lactation field regarding our scope of practice?
I am well aware of the fact that we can't prescribe medications. However,
our clientele is highly educated and I feel that I am doing them a
disservice if I don't discuss the pros and cons of the various treatment
options. If the medical community was more breastfeeding savvy, this would
not even be an issue. I could comfortably refer them to their MD and know
that they would be prescribed the most effective treatment.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Susie McCulloch, LLLL IBCLC