Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:41:00 -0800
"i finally hunted down some statistics regarding=20
carseat use. according to the latest report by=20
the US National Highway Traffic Safety=20
Administration=20
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2004/809906.pdf,=20
"At 100 percent child safety seat use for=20
children under 5, an estimated 566 lives (that=20
is, an additional 114) could have been saved in=20
2004." [my emphasis]"

Tina, I appreciate this information...this is very useful.

A couple of things to keep in mind, coming from a CPS advocate (I'm
HEAVILY into carseat information, as much as breastfeeding info! ;-)):

1) according to stats, the #1 cause of death for babies under 1 is
still SIDS.  This obviously is effected somewhat by breastfeeding or
not, but breastfeeding is only part of the puzzle in the SIDS mystery.

2) for kids over 1 and up to about 6-7 I believe, the #1 cause of
death is motor vehicle collisions.  Obviously a lot of that is about
being improperly restrained, but some collisions are unsurviveable no
matter what kind of restraint a child is in...

I suspect that if you take all the other causes of death for kids age
1-7 (of which there will be other accidents/drownings, cancer, other
illnesses, etc.) you may find a significant number of them are also
things that are effected somewhat by whether a child is breastfed or
not (ie incidence of leukaemia lower in breastfed children than in
formula fed children).  None of this is really something you can take
any one baby and say "this baby would have survived if s/he had been
breastfed" most of the time, whereas sometimes you CAN take a given
collision situation and say "given the low speed, point of impact
etc., if a child had been in a proper safety seat used properly, s/he
would have survived".

I think it is very interesting what you have found Tina though.  :-)

Fio