Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:07:43 -0400
Marie Biancuzzo wrote:
>You'll never be able to
>educate the consumer about all of the requirements and credentials of
>provider. But you'll never be able to fool them about that person's
>competence, either.

You really think so?  I know I want to end up as IBCLC because of two
things... which are intertwined... one is I never ever refer people who
need help (as opposed to support) to anyone who's not an IBCLC because of
too many bad experiences I've had with incompetent LCs that women believed
because our cultural knowledge of breastfeeding is so nil.  Now I have had
a few bad experiences with IBCLCs too unfortunately, but honestly not near
the same level as with the ones I've had with non-IBCLCs.  Which brings me
to reason two, which is if *I* don't trust the other standards why would I
ask women to trust me when I didn't have those credentials myself?

On the other hand... I'm not into banning or regulating non-IBCLCs.  To me
that strikes way too close to the Nurse-Midwife/Non-Nurse-Midwife debate.
I just think there should be more public knowledge so people can know what
they're getting into and who they're dealing with.

-Wendey (studying in Montreal, peer support bf counselor)