From:
Amanda Mae Ressler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:29:11 -0600
        My name is Amanda Ressler and I am a nursing student at the
University of North Dakota.  I have been a subsriber to Lactnet for about
two weeks now.  I have researched studies pertaining to the reduction of
breast cancer among women who have breastfed but I have found inconsistent
results.
        A study conducted by Newcomb et al. (1999) found that lactation in
premenopausal women reduces their risk of breast cancer.  It was found
that there was a 20-30 percent reduction in breast cancer risk among women
who have ever breastfed and breast cancer risk reductions as great as
40-60 percent were found in premenopausal women who had a longer duration
of total breastfeeding.
        Freudenheim et al. (1997) also conducted a study and found a weak
protective effect of breastfeeding against the risk of breast
cancer.  Because of this study it is believed that lactation may alter the
breast so more of the breast tissue is exposed to potentially protective
agents and is exposed less to potential carcinogens.
        However, according to Michels et al. (1996) there is inconsistent
epidemiologic evidence and it is still uncertain whether there is a
connection between breastfeeding and breast cancer risk.
        It would be of great help to me if you would share your expertise
and past experiences relating to breastfeeding and breast cancer.
        Thank you, Amanda Ressler, College of Nursing Student, University
of North Dakota.

        Freudenheim, J.L., Marshall, J.R., Vena, J.E., Moysich, K.B.,
Multi, P., Laughlin, R., Nemoto, T., & Graham, S.  (1997).  Lactation
history and breast cancer risk.  American journal of epidemiology,
(146)11, p. 932-938.

        Michels, K.B., Willett, W.C., Rosner, B.A., Manson, J.E., Hunter,
D.J., Colditz, G.A., Hankinson, S.E., & Speizer, F.E.  (1996).
Prospective assessment of breastfeeeding and breast cancer
incidence among 89 887 women.  The Lancet, (347)8999, p. 431-436.

        Newcomb, P.A., Egan, K.M., Titus-Ernstoff, L., Trentham-Dietz, A.,
Greenberg, E.R., Baron, J.A., Willett, W.C., & Stampfer,
M.J.  (1999).  Lactation in relation to postmenopausal breast
cancer.  American journal of epidemiology, (150)2, p. 174-182.