From:
LORI ISENSTADT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:02:38 -0700
Hi:

I did have one mom recently that I worked with, who was suffering form poor latch and low milk supply.  Got help with latch, but on the second follow-up phone call, in which she stated she was following care plan to a "T",  and gave me all the "right answers" when I asked my questions, then began to wonder out loud when I asked her if she could think of anything that she might be taking OTC/herbs,etc. that might affect her milk production.  She said:    Do you think it could be the Wellbutrin that I am taking?  I perused through her file, which shows careful history taking by a colleague and there is no  mention of any maternal risk factors, and specifically no medication taken.

I suggested that it might be of importance and read her Hale's info.  She decided to change meds ASAP.  I asked her why she had not acknowledged taking this meds during her intake and she stated:  " I did not think it was relevant.  It has nothing to do with my boob;"

A follow-up phone call 8 days later and she tells me that while she spent 2-3 weeks after initial consult with mediocre milk supply increase, she is now *( 8 days later), expressing a full supply for baby and breastfeeding 3 times a day.

BTW:  Mom is a med student.  Changed meds the very next day.  We asked the right question and she discounted verbalizing the info, just cause she thought it was not relevant.  Another reminder to myself:  When doing follow-up calls keep asking things like:  Now you said you are not taking any medication that has been prescribed to you or anything over the counter right - cause that may have an important impact on your supply.....

Anyway, just like the the rest of us, I am learning all the time.

Lori J. Isenstadt,  IBCLC