From:
Woods-Eliot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 08:14:43 -0800
Where do I sign up to join the "Breastfeeding to Sleep Association"  ?

Fortunately my little one at 2.5 yrs only wakes up once or twice.  I
never recommend mom-baby separation to those with nighttime troubles
since that seems to make the baby more unhappy.

I recommend nursing a lot during the day, and I also recommend that
mom find at least 2-3 times a day when they are DELIGHTED to be
nursing the baby.  Often moms are committed to nursing, but the
toddler seems so demanding, that moms are disappointed and frustrated
each and every time baby asks to nurse!  If they can find three times
a day and take joy in breastfeeding at those times, and welcome baby
to the breast, I think that's wonderful for the toddler.  Some moms
are annoyed that when they get home from 8 hrs of work, toddler wants
to nurse right away! I try to get them to welcome that nursing
session as a way to reconnect with their child (AND relieve their
full breasts).  As for nighttime, I think if mom enjoys, say, nursing
to sleep in the evening and upon baby's final wakening in the
morning, and baby knows that, the transition to fewer nursings in the
middle of the night will be easier.

Katherine
NMC phone counselor, birth ed teacher, apprentice midwife in Portland
Oregon USA