From:
Mandy Schaub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 14:20:00 -0400
The most amazing thing just happened.  My hospital administrator called me
and asked if I could help her assess what we would need to do in order to
become Baby Friendly.  I'm in a little bit of shock, but in a good way.  I've
searched the archives and can't quite find my answer.  We are mosly baby
friendly except for the free formula piece.  Could anyone who has gone baby
friendly and lived through having to buy formula give me some insight,
especially cost related?  I've heard it isn't as expensive as one might think.
And I did see teh idea about encouraging patients to bring their own formula,
just like they would diapers.  One issue with that is most of our patients don't
bring in their own stuff now.  My administrator wants to know if it is "worth" it
in terms of $ and what the benefit to the hospital would be, again in terms of
$.  Healthier, happier babies are nice, but she wants to talk money.  She
knows it is the right thing to do, but I need to show her it makes economical
sense as well.  Trust me if I don't have that piece all the other reasoning in
the world will not work.  Thank you so much, Mandy Schaub