From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:24:18 -0600
Good topic, Diane!

>Peter Hartman's work, as I understand it, shows that the ordinary healthy baby doesn't
>increase his intake significantly after... well, certainly after 4-6
>weeks or so
>
>What are we to make of these old "so many units of milk per unit of baby =
>weight" charts now?  When are they useful for the breastfed or =
>breastmilk-fed baby, and when are they archaic?

Heck, there was an article back in 1984 that said the same thing, so I
haven't believed those charts in years!  (Butte et al., J Pediatr
104:187-94, 1984)  I've got the same charts above my desk, and I refer
to them if I'm giving guidelines about a baby in the first few weeks of
life only. I figure if we're trying to give target amounts for a
non-latching baby at discharge, baby should be taking somewhere in the
vicinity of what the charts say by the end of the first week of life.
If I see a baby who's a month or more old and (for example) not gaining,
I figure they need about 24 oz./day for normal weight gain, more for
catch-up growth, and start there and see what happens.  It's all fairly
vague, isn't it?  Anyway, that's how I use the (definitely) archaic charts.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin