From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:40:39 -0400
> The moms of these skinny little babies nearly always report a history of
> unrelieved engorgement in the first few days after the milk first came
in.
> I'm convinced that the first week - 10 days after delivery are really
> critical to establishing adequate lactation, and it's usually in this
time
> that the breasts have the potential to become overfull or engorged, with
the
> sequel of lactation failure if this is not addressed.

Pam, I too think this is much more important to subsequent milk supply than
many of us realize.  MHO is that these are the moms who come wandering in
with "not enough" milk at 6 weeks.  I am pretty aggressive about addressing
engorgement,  frequent nursing and good drainage in the early days because
of my belief that it can cause subtle and not so subtle sequelae.
FYI, I used to be a rental station, but send them out now to get a pump
from another local rental station.  And I really prefer the big pumps for
these early problems as opposed to using one of the little hand ones
because their quality is so variable from type to type.  A mom might only
have to use it a few times or for a day or two, but it makes so  much
difference.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ