From:
Lucy Towbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:56:38 -0600
Diane, My advice to your 42 yo expectant mom is "wait and see how it goes."
 It's fine to discuss all the options, but she can't make decisions now.
 She may be so exhausted she decides she doesn't want a second child after
all.  She may get her periods back and be ovulating soon after birth (I got
mine back soonest after the birth of my third at age 45- all three were
completely breastfed but he slept more at night early on) and conceive more
easily the next time (my third was quicker than the first two at age 33 and
38). She may have a huge milk supply and easily store up milk the first six
months for the next six. There are many unknown factors at this point. If
she has resumed ovulating is there any reason to think she would have more
difficulty conceiving because she's breastfeeding? I also know from
infertility experiences of myself and others that a "hurry up" attitude
can't help, but it's also hard to avoid when the biological clock is
ticking.