Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 00:13:52 +0100
>Karleen:
>Regarding the physiology of the need for frequent stimulation after
>separation in the initial days I read while I was studying last summer for
>the IBCLC test in the Riordin and Auerbach book that the reason for
>frequent stimulation is that in the initial days after birth is that with
>each feeding/stimulation prolactin receptor sites are being formed in the
>breasts...More stimulation=more receptor sites=more milk supply in the
>future.

Indeed - though prolactin receptors is something we still need to
know more about.

I am sure we'd all agree that helping a mother to express for her
sick/separated baby as soon as she can goes beyond this physical
explanation though. It shows that hospital staff caring for the baby
want her to be central in the baby's care, it shows they regard bf as
important, and it empowers the mother in a situation where she may
feel very unpowerful.

Yes, many motivated women can bf happily and successfully after a poor start.

But there is no good reason why a healthy mother who wants to bf
should be kept waiting the 40 hours we heard about in this case. This
is, IMO, substandard care of both mother and baby.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK