From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:50:47 +1100
<This started in late July when child was about three months old.
The mother presented with a pea sized lesion on one areola.  It was itchy!
..........The lesions exactly match the boundary of the
baby’s mouth when he nurses.  There is no pain during a nursing, but the
pain and itching increase for about one hour after a nursing.  The poor
mother is going crazy with the itching.  >

Hi Kitty,
this sounds like eczema / dermatitis to me. I am not familiar with the
cortisone ointment that you mentioned, but perhaps if it is hydrocortisone
it is not strong enough. A strong steroid, like Diprosone, will resolve it
in a couple of days. She should use the ointment sparingly, but doesn't need
to wash it off.
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia