From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:27:44 -0800
Hello,
A major health insurance company has a guideline for
coverage of certain RSV immunizations which specifies
certain risk factors which must be present before they
will approve the medication for infants and children
under 24 months of age. Here is a summary of the
risks:
smoker is present in the household
child will be going to daycare
crowded household (more than 4 people)
presence of other underlying condition that predispose
to respiratory complications
anticipated cardiac surgery

Now here is my question:  Just how would "formula fed
baby" fit in this list?  Wouldn't the known additional
suseptability to RSV in a formula fed baby be at least
equal to the added risk of daycare, or having a smoker
present in the household?   I think the data must be
there to support this... I just don't quite know how
to go about proving it.   Can anyone help?
Sue Jacoby, IBCLC
California