From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:44:41 +0800
>BTW, have any of you had babies who are (first 2-3 weeks) bf an appropriate
>number of times, wetting diapers AND stooling appropriately (3-5 nice sized,
>seedy yellow stools/24 hours) and are yet NOT gaining?  I've had two in the
>past week...really throwing me, as I felt as though the stools were the
>cardinal guidelines about whether or not babies were doing well (this is on
>routine follow up calls).  Moms are hearing swallowing -- nothing that
>indicates not all is going well; then on peds visit, baby isn't up to birth
>weight....
>
>Ideas?

Jan,
A couple of times I have seen this is when baby is also showing signs of
food intolerance. Baby is colicky, unsettled, lots of wet and dirty
nappies, and obvious good to oversupply of milk going through, but weight
gain poor or non-existent. In one case, which I didn't see until several
months old, baby had been put into hospital and fed comps of formula to
increase weight gain - this baby was highly intolerant to cow's milk, so
this just made things worse. Hospital staff were puzzled and had no idea
why this baby didn't just stack on the weight once it was 'being fed'!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]