From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:49:50 +1000
Hi Celine
I agree with Laurie Wheeler's comments about a possible breast problem.  It looks as if this mother is combining the milk from both breasts in the same container (bottles).  My thougths are, it would be helpful if she stores the milk from different breasts separately, to see if her baby refuses one but not the other.  Has the mother tasted the milk from each side?  Does one of them taste more salty?  Of course, after a week or so of refusing, the baby might refuse both lots of milk from habit.  However,  if he refuses only one, probably the one from the affected breast, it would confirm that there was a problem in that breast. That might help in further investigations of subclinical mastitis or inflammatory breast cancer.
I'd refer the mother on to a breast clinic or someone medical with relevant expertise and a  positive attitude towards breastfeeding.

Virginia
in Brisbane, Queensland