From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:43:20 -0700
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:06:07 EST, Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Some people seem to have forgotten (or still don't know) that feeding a  baby
> is a medical issue with medical repercussions and should be treated as  such.

I need a bumper sticker like that.    I think my daughter will still
want to drive my car 6 years from now even with that though- but so
far, she believes only in breastfeeding babies.

in fact, I once mentioned to her that "a post-partum nurse wanted to
give her a bottle" and she still has it out for that nurse even though
she knows I refused!  (many, many times I refused, but there always
seemed to be another Nursette being delivered, and cracked open and
placed at my bedside.  Like I wouldnt' "waste" it because it was open.
)

> El Paso, TX
> Where I just had to tell my computer's spell check AGAIN to "learn"
> breastfeed is all one word...sigh.

I've given up and put up with the little squiggly line.

jena now says.....

Did the nurses hurt my feelings? Not at all. I wonder
> what   exactly people are afraid that nurses and hospitals might do to them
> if
> they  insist on keeping their own babies in the room. Can't take your  baby,
> can't turn  you out of the hospital. I think maintaining a  pleasant, but firm
> tone of voice  helps, and maybe talking with the OB  and peds before hand,
> too.
> Yes, it does  take a lot of nerve to do this,  but doesn't being a mommy take
> lot of  nerve?
>
> Jena Sallenger RN  MSN IBCLC RLC
> Florence, SC

yes, it takes a lot of nerve.  and perserverance.   I wonder how to
get the message across to pregnant women that they will jump in front
of a train for their baby, so they need to understand that
breastfeeding is just as important, if not as immediate.    At least
to figure out the rudiments of breastfeeding and "try" it....

sadly, postpartum women have often been hit by that train themselves....

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html
  Mom to Ursula (9.9), Sage (7), Benno (3.7)   "Halloween is a big