From:
"O'Dowd, Y" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:39:53 +1000
I am a volunteer Breastfeeding Counsellor with the Nursing Mothers' Association of
Australia and also work in a paid capacity providing an electric breast pump hiring
service from the Association's national headquarters in Melbourne, Australia.

I hope someone can offer some suggestions for a mother I met today. She is HIV+ and
expecting her first child in May. She is currently in good health and recieving
excellent support and information from her medical advisors. The child will be delivered
by caesarean section to minimise the risk of transmission to the baby.

This mother is keen to provide breastmilk to the baby for as long as she can. She has
undertaken to find out as much as she can from the limited information available. She
wishes to find out more about pastuerising her breastmilk, which is believed to kill the
virus. From what we read, the EBM is heated to 62.5 deg Celcius and held at that temp
for 30 minutes.

All available references refer to practices within milk banks. To my knowledge there are
no milk banks available in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Australia, therefore, the milk
will need to be treated in the home. We are wondering about suitable equipment - perhaps
that used for home-made yogurt or preserved fruit may be suitable?

We would also like to know whether colostrum can be treated in the same way as mature
breastmilk, and would appreciate suggestions for early feeds - she is very keen to avoid
infant formula. She is willing to consider donated EBM from a friend or family member,
if this is pastuerised. This could be arranged before the birth and fed to the infant
until her milk is available.

If anyone knows of any mother who has managed her breastfeeding and HIV in this or any
other manner, we would love to hear from them or the mother. This mother is very keen to
 use her experience to help other women and we will record a detailed case history if
she goes ahead with her plan.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Yvette O'Dowd
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Melbourne, Australia