From:
Ines Anchondo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:37:35 -0500
It is sad to hear that so many babies die of SIDS in Philadelphia. However,
we must remember that no one has elucidated the cause of SIDS and just to
mention an interesting fact although the back to sleep movement would have
us believe that putting a baby back to sleep will prevent SIDS it just so
happens that among Native Americans living in the Rapid City area most
babies sleep on their backs yet this population continues to have the
highest SIDS rate in the U.S. (There was a big long study about this and
was published last year in JAMA. I can get the citation for anyone
interested). Thus, getting back to sharing sleep, or co-sleeping or a
variation of this I am convinced that safe sleep is the answer and
acknowledging all of the dangers we also have to recognize the many
benefits. I for one believe that sharing sleep has been a blessing and has
allowed me to continue to breastfeed my now 13 month old little girl. In
the interest of understanding what motivates people to breastfeed longer I
wonder how many women stop breastfeeding early because night time feedings
are more difficult having the baby sleeping in a separate place....