From:
Jann Sheperd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:28:03 -0700
I was able to talk the the mom and she had talked to the MD about getting
reglan.  The MD, who usually delivers at a different hospital in our same
system  had said that it is the lactation people at the other hospital that
recommend that all the C/S moms get the reglan to help their milk come in
since it can "be delayed".  I did mention to the mom that one reason we
could have such a problem with milk delay in our c/s moms is because we as
staff need to support our c/s moms better by helping to get that baby to
breast early and often, and how it is more work for us because c/s moms need
more assistance.  We also want to 'protect' the mother more when c/s because
they need more 'rest'.

Since a lactation RN at my hospital was very curious about this order as
well (and was real interested in whether the milk really would come in
earlier) I am curious which LC in our system told that MD about it.  (since
I'm pretty sure we use the same pool of LC's)  I think reglan would be a
great idea if it weren't so silly to substitute a drug (not without
potential side effects) for simple management/support of breastfeeding early
and often for these moms!!

By the way, the baby was quite content last night, had not begun to gain
weight yet, but even if her milk has come in, it is just over 48 hrs.  Now I
wish I had explored whether there were signs of milk coming in better, I
know she was not experiencing any discomfort or engorgement!

Janette