From:
Susan & Paul Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 17:21:07 +0800
Nikki Lee said <I have a  publication from the
> Australian Nursing Mothers Association that recommends  nursing at least 6
> times
> a day. Women nursing that number of feeds a day must  have a large storage
> capacity (which relates to infant feeding
> interval).................wouldn't
> that have an impact on the findings the team  has discovered?
>    warmly,

> Nikki Lee

Hello Nikki,
The Australian Breastfeeding Association (fomerly Nursing Mothers
Association of Australia) like most breastfeeding organisations updates its
literature all the time using the most up to date research. Last year ABA
celebrated 40 years of breastfeeding support in Australia. This gave us
chance to search through archives and old cardboard boxes and take out and
re-read the early literature. It was interesting to see how far we had come
in our suggestions and recommendations and how even the language has
changed. The Jan 2005 edition of an Introduction to Breastfeeding Booklet
mentions that it is not unusual for new baby to want to feed 8-12 times in
24 hours.
As someone who has taken part in some of Peter Hartmans teams breastfeeding
research previously, the one thing that stuck with me was that of there
seems to be a wide range of *normal* both in mums and baby's.  I am sure
this is something we have all seen in our proffessional lives.
warmly Susan

Susan Day IBCLC
Breastfeeding counsellor Kalgoorlie-Boulder group
Australian Breastfeeding Association
Mum to Susan Elizabeth 91, Catherine Anne 92, Miranda Jane 94, Josephine
Amanda 97, Charlotte Lily 02 & wife to Paul (lone male)

Breastmilk...goodness to the last drop.