Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:02:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I have been pleasantly surprised by the mothers with PCOS that I have worked with, both those who got pregnant through assisted means and those for whom it occurred naturally-albeit delayed.  I have not had any mother yet who was unable to bring in a full milk supply.  The first one I worked with
had a delayed onset -like 6 days- and baby had to be supplemented because he lost too much in the intervening period.  In fact, I thought she would not be able to fully breastfeed based on the research I did about her condition, but her milk did come in like gangbusters, according to her!  I had a
mom with a baby in SCN who is pumping and whom I had been told had an abundant milk supply, who asked me the first time I actually met her, what effect her PCOS might have on breastfeeding because she had been told it might.  I had the pleasure of telling her that the only problem I was aware that
it could cause her appeared not to be a problem at all!  She and her mother laughed when I told them that it can affect milk supply negatively.  Her bins in the freezer were already full!  Isn't hyperprolactinemia often associated with this condition and one of the reasons for infertility?  Or am I
just getting confused?  I can think of 3 moms with PCOS who have had, if anything, an oversupply.

Marsha, who is hitting the Tylenol after doing yard work all weekend, including getting our breastfeeding fountain put up!  Very calming....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2