From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:34:14 -0400
Now that I have faces with many of your names, I feel like I'm truly writing
to friends! I enjoyed many of the sessions at the ILCA conference, but as
the Kansas Dorothy said" There's no place like home!" My kids met me at the
airport- one had a sign that said "I'm healthy because my mom breastfed me!"

Of course, Monday was busy as the non urgent questions from last week called
back, however, two moms with consult needs had to be seen. One mom has me
stumped and I feel brain dead from all the stimulation last week and hope
someone out there has anecdotal or referenced suggestions  for me.

P2G2- L2 (second nursing!) term baby- mother reports that he latched on
beautifully and nursed well, gained well---- until the wee hours of night 11
(Saturday).  Totally refused to maintain a latch. No sustained latch all day
Sunday. She called Monday am, saw her early Monday afternoon.  Baby has
wonderful rooting skills, wide open mouth, tongue down, you can see  initial
effort and success, and he is getting on the breast.  However, within a
fraction of a second, he's off.  Nipples are larger than average, and he'd
nursed on them for a week and a half very easily. Tried a lot of positions,
upright did seem to work better- meaning he sucked one or two times, then
slid off. Investigated soap, deodorant, laundry changes, diet differences-
nothing flagging out of the ordinary/no changes. No sign of yeast.

What do you think? What am I missing as another question to ask? Who has
seen this and has a couple things to try?  HELP!

My ILCA roommate and I took a picture of the life sized bronze Benjamin
Franklin statue at the Plaza in KC- with the added attraction of a button on
his lapel that said" Affordable healthcare starts with breastfeeding."  Old
Ben knew a penny saved is a penny earned!!!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to the above.
Karen Foard, IBCLC.
 2526 Tara Circle
State College, PA 16803
 814-237-1506