From:
Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:33:00 -0500
Rachel Myr reminds me that breast pump companies are capable of employing
the same marketing tactics to make us think that mothers need their products
as artificial baby milk manufacturers do.  For example, Medela had a
wonderful bilingual handout on why mothers shouldn't share personal use
pumps.  They changed it to be included on a poster with a graph showing
which pump each mother needs for her lifestyle.  They're very slick-looking
like the ABM literature and appear innocent enough but the message is very
deceptive.  Bravo to Rachel for calling them out on their tactics.

At the ILCA Conference in Chicago many of us were invited to tour
Hollister's corporate headquarters by invitation only.  We were taken on
several tour busses more than an hour from downtown Chicago and lavishly
wined and dined on fabulous food from around the world and excellent
champagne and wine.  We sat in a theater and watched Hollister's new
marketing video on "Birth to Breast".  Many took a tour of the exclusive art
collection on the premises.  World renowned breastfeeding experts were there
to chat with the guests and it was great networking.  It was a wonderful
gathering, but I left there thinking how similar it was to the ABM companies
wining and dining the physicians.  It left a bad taste in my mouth and I
felt guilty for participating.  I'm not sure if it violated our professional
ethics or not but I think if you have to ask it probably does.

We sometimes forget that our pump company reps are just that because we
develop close relationships with them.  Let's not forget that they're in the
business of making a profit too and we are vulnerable to their tactics
whether we realize it or not.  Thanks for the reminder, Rachel.

Linda Anderegg, RNC, IBCLC, RLC in Chicago