From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:40:55 -0500
Hello,

Yes, I have and our administration and nurse manger are about to look at it
even more closely.  It truly is the first document that I have ever seen
that addresses this issue. I submitted that along with "pie graphs" noting
how our current FTE's had been utilized, along with a proposal on how we
expect to utilize new staff members. Monday is the day it is formally
presented by the nurse manager in time for the July budget so we are keeping
our fingers crossed.

As they say timing is everything. Two long time excellent LPN's are both
interested in transferring to lactation, and both already have great
clinical skills. We anticpate using both in a "lactation on call" person for
the first feed, so that even CD babies can be quickly taken back to mom
while in recovery.

These ladies may not have full certification for a while, but are
pro-breastfeeding all the way and we will mentor them all the way. I know
that many lactnetters feel that full certification from our profession is
the only was to gain credibility, and I usually agree. In this case though
we have willling, able, and eager co-workers, who already walk the walk with
their patients onf a daily basis. We are thrilled to think they might be
able to join us. We hope to see a real reduction in the amount of
bottlefeeding overnight, just by their presence on the unit and more 'round
the clock support of what we are trying to accomplish!

LuAnn Smith RN, BSN IBCLC