From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:45:47 -0400
You beat me to it Jan!

I just wanted to add to what Jan Barger said about our study "A Comparison of
the Bacterial Composition of Breast Milk Stored at Room Temp. & Stored in the
Refrigerator" that I did a few cultures at 24hrs. rm temp. and still had
minimal bacterial levels.  I would love to know at what point does the
immunological properties quit engulfing bacteria and protecting the milk?????

I have been getting multiple calls on the taste and smell of defrosted milk
and 3day +++ refrigeratored milk, and baby refusal.  Do not forget that some
babies looove that fresh sweet taste.  Especially after freezing, various
odors from some of the other freezer items may inter into milk and  due to
milk fat that is hydrolyzed and triglyceride concentrations decreasing there
might be a slight soapy taste to the milk. I once did testing on the taste of
defrosted milk by adults.  It was interesting, especially because they had no
idea what they were tasting.  Most stated the milk tasted sour, rotten,
soapy.  It is great that most babies do not care.  I also tryed various
containers and all were the same.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
754 Raintree Dr.
Naperville, IL  60540      (708) 420-2172