From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:03:10 -0700
local photo shop (used my warning for the role of film of nipple photos as
an excuse to raise the topic of LCs)...well, as it turns out, the manager is
newly pregnant and has a sister who is too (her sister had an awful first
time bf experience with a baby who refused the breast after a vigorously
shoving hcp turned him off).  The manager had never heard of the profession
of LCs and certainly didn't know to seek out an IBCLC.  By the time I left
the store, 6 people had learned about LCs, IBCLCs, ILCA and lactation in
general.   Those people each said they knew someone who was pregnant that
they were going to call right away.  Thanks for the "shove" toward this, Les
(the presenter)!  I felt like it was a mini "pay it forward" exercise when I
thought of the potential impact if every LNer did the same thing just once a
week.

The funny thing about all this is that my husband and I both have a
knee-jerk negative response to the term "marketing".  It is sort of that
nausea thing that was recently described with the bf mom who became
pregnant.  I can't tell you why, but we have this negative image of what
marketing and marketing experts are about.  The ILCA presentation really
turned that around for me.

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€