From:
Cheryl Parrott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:49:56 EST
Hello everyone, I am very new at helping moms so I need some help with this
situation. Archival search was not very helpful.  Mom has given permission
for your assistance.  I have been following a 15 day old male for several
breastfeeding issues.  Baby #4 for mom, first male, first bfd child.
Scheduled CS at 39 wks, birth wt 5 lbs 3 oz.  Seen in office initially at day
3-4 for wt check, wt 5 lbs even, feeding ok.  Does have tongue tie.  Wt at
day 7 of life still 5 lbs, not latching on at that point but had horrible
thrush, which we treated. Per mom had been latching on well and feeding fine.
 I then spoke to her several times on the phone at the office regarding the
baby not latching on to one breast which we treated by one sided nursing and
pumping other side.  Once thrush was being treated baby had 4 days of "great
feedings" per mom. Eating q2-3 hours, no supp, voiding and stooling.  I seen
them today, day 15 of life with c/o "he's eating all the time"  Mom reports
2-3 days of constant feeds except for a 3 hours stretch in evening.  Baby
will nurse well 15-25 minutes, both breast, fullness prior and soft after
feed, but then baby will cry and unable to pacify without feeding within 30
minutes.  Mom finally broke down and supp with formula-baby took 11/2 oz and
slept for 5 hours.  Wt today was only 5 lbs 1 oz, Pre/post wt revealed intake
of 11/2 oz from both breasts total in 15 min fdg session.  SO...what's up.
No nipple pain or trauma, baby is latching on great, so I don't think it's
the tongue.  Seems to me supply is ok.. Mom really wants to breastfeed but
obviously concerned about wt.  My wonderful peds doc is waiting another day
or so to see if this self resolves- growth spurt?- or if we need to fix.  You
may email me privately with any help. Sorry so long!! TIA

Cheryl Parrott BSN
Kokomo, IN