Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:09:21 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Carolyn Westcott wrote:
"he has snipped 27 tongue-ties in the last 2 months, I am amazed that
there are so many, "
I hope that these babies truly need the intervention.  As I am not very experienced with tongue tie and surgical correction of it, I will just express what my basically critical mind is thinking:  that increased awareness of tongue tie as a cause of BF problems may be leading to an overtreatment.  In other words, these babies may or may not be tongue-tied, but they are having BF problems in a community where tongue tie has recently been publicized (my own wild speculation, knowing nothing about community awareness of tongue tie in this case).  I know that when I have presented mechanical aids which are useful in a very few, select cases, there is suddenly a rash on our ward of using the aids to treat every conceivable and  inconceivable problems because the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Silly) acronym hasn't caught on.
BTW, I met a mother last week whose infant had a frenulotomy on the fifth day of life, at her insistence.  It was done in the NICU by a pediatrician.  Mother reported, unsurprised and unperturbed, that the baby bled profusely at the time, and had difficulty feeding at all in the three days after the clip, which she attributed to soreness/tenderness from the cut.  Also noticed slight bleeding during feeds after operation.  Third baby, first one to get any amount of mother's milk, and feeding sluggishly at 14 days (being followed closely at this point by pediatricians and health visitor, not by me).  Mother is pumping over 1 liter daily of which baby drinks about 300 ml, rest is being frozen.  Mother's diabetes and hypothyroidism make her ineligible as a donor to our bank, unfortunately.
Rachel Myr

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2