Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 14:22:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I work in mother baby with a fabulous team of nurses.  I write a "Milk Fairy News" newsletter monthly and recently started a Dear Milk Fairy column. I am basing this on the old Ann Landers column.  Opps I may be dating myself.  This was a woman who answered questions about anything and everything in the newspaper years ago.  Everyone signed the letters with a cute signature.  We are going with the signature line “Tired of Waiting”
The question is “How do I know when it is ok to wait for a newborn infant to feed if they are sleepy.  What do I do if they won’ eat?”
I have the what to do down: place skin to skin and or biological nurturing position for one hour, if they don’t wake, place in crib flat on back, no longer the 15 minutes and wait till they 1.  Open their eyes 2.  When their fist is near their mouth they open and they suck.  If they don’t wake I put them back “in the kitchen”, on mom’s chest and wait another ½ hour and use the waking technique again.
My question is how do I answer the first question using the evidence? I know they want a cookie cutter answer and I can’t give them one.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Minimally if someone could point me towards some evidence a nursing staff would believe/follow that would be great. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2