From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:29:06 -0400
On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Kathleen Bruce wrote:

> It seems to me, Heidi, that the LC might have looked at thrush as a possible
> problem.  You should refer to the LC series on Candidiasis, and also to Ruth
> Lawrence's text, which states that there need be no overt symptoms in the
> infant's mouth for thrush to be present. She discusses this extensively. Has
> the mother been exposed to antibiotics?

No antibiotics.  No vaginal yeast (mom actually says she has not had a
vaginal yeast infection in years.)  I will keep monitoring this avenue
though, Does anyone see any harm in treating as such just "in case?"  I am
thinking of it, simply because the nipples are very very pink. (while the
areola is brown)  I know infants don't always show the symptoms, but
should we tx baby as well??

> I see SO much thrush here that I am developing a packet of information,
> handouts, copies, etc...to give to people..to say "Here, Read this, and THEN
> call me ....and we'll talk."  I could spend hours a day on the phone
> counseling people about this.

I know what you mean. I always think- position first, thrush next, when it
comes to sore nipples.  I am just used to seeing at least a diaper rash.

Also! I have never had experience with eczema on nipples. What does the
appearance of the condition look like?  I ask because early on (thanks to
a hospital maternity nurse who has no lactation training...) mom was told
to drip ABM onto her nipples to encourage latch on. (Baby was latching
fine... ever hear of hand expressing??.... grrrr...)  Could this have
caused a skin condition that would stay even after she no longer used the
ABM?  She has very sensitive skin (and we have eliminated everything on
nipples except water) so could this be a factor?

Thanks so much! The wisdom on this list is priceless.

Heidi Murphy