Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:37:06 -0500
I think we've been in this discussion before 'debating' the merits of
breast vs. bottle.  Clearly, breastmilk is better for babies.  However,
please let's not delude ourselves; breastmilk contains chemicals because
moms are exposed to chemcials in the environment from air, water, food and
dermal exposures.  Cows are exposed less to these environmental chemicals
because they do not pump gasoline, visit the dry cleaners, use household
chemicals, etc.  A risk-benefit assessment shows that none-the-less,
breastmilk is healthier for babies than infant formula.  If you are
interested, I can send you a chapter I authored on the transport of
chemicals to breastmilk and an assessment of health risks from mother's
milk compared to formula feeding.
Judy Schreiber, Ph.D., New York State Dept of Health.