Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:22:31 -0600
Dear Lactnet,

I recently recived a newletter and it really disturbed me.  Am I way off
base?  I'll include the text and describe the accompanying photo

"Improved Treatment for STDs Critical to Health of Women and Children:
New CDC Guidelines Address Urgent Health Need

        The majority of severe illnesses and deaths associated with sexually
transmitted diseases could be prevented with improved diagnosis and
treatment, according to the Centers for Disease Condtrol and Preventing.
        To address this urgent health need, the CDC has issued updated national
guidelines desigened to improve the prevention, detection, and treatment
of STDs, especially among women and infants--the two groups that suffer
the most severe consequences.
        The 1998 Guidelines for Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
outine the most effective  treatments for STDs and include recent
advances that may greatly improve the health of women and infants and
slow the spread of HIV.

The article goes on the explain that we have the means to treat STDs,
but we have to first diagnose the diseases first.

Accompanying this article on the need to improve detection/treatment of
STDs in women and children is a color photo of a mother discreetly
nursing her baby on a bench outside.

Is this absolutely inapppropriate, or is it just my imagination?

Megan Schmidt, SN, IBCLC